Monday, July 26, 2010

EDIT: "An average person in good health can hold his breath for about two minutes, but with even small amounts of practice it is possible to increase that time dramatically." - Time Article

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1736834,00.html

I am average now? I accept your challenge Time Magazine and will go for 5 minutes.



Recently, Shayna and I created our Life Lists full of fun and impossible things to do in our lives. One in particular I thought I should accomplish this summer because it was the only one I could do without spending any money. My goal was to hold my breath in the pool for 2 minutes. In May, when Andy came to town, I held my breath for 1:37. Andy knows how to handle himself around a pool, if you know what I mean, and dominated me with 2:07 (He also holds the record for most down and backs at 3). Well, I am proud to tell you (Mark) that over weekend I did it! Not only did I cross the 2 minute mark but I crushed Andy in the process.

2:10...when I got to the 2 minute mark I knew I could hold out and beat Andy.


But wait, after building my confidence, I demolished Andy with a time of 2:41. I think I could go for 3 mintues but it feels good to know I have finally marked something off my life list.


Hairy Fist Pump in your face, Andy!


Boom.

3 comments:

  1. You should go for the world record. Why stop at the pool record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The record without the pure oxygen, which Blaine failed to break during an attempt last year in Manhattan's Lincoln Center, is 8 minutes and 58 seconds.
    With or without pure oxygen, holding your breath is a difficult and dangerous pastime even for elite athletes. When not done carefully, it can lead to drowning, or to potential tissue damage in the heart, brains or lungs. Preliminary results from Potkin's research into apnea's long-term effects show some abnormal brain scans among young, extreme free divers.


    Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1736834,00.html#ixzz0uuU61Zz0

    Go for the record, but don't kill yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "but it feels go to know "

    Could you explain this part? You should learn from the lesson you taught me and read your blog before posting. :)

    ReplyDelete